Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Medieval Festival

Well, this is embarrassing. I started this post literally like 5 months ago and forgot about it. Well, here we go!

So awhile back in Alcalá there was the yearly medieval festival, which now I don't remember why it was celebrated, but I think it was a "just because" thing. There was a lot of cool stuff, lots of vendors, delicious food, costumes, rides for goods, music, parades, etc. But my favorite part was that I got to become a part of one of the exhibits. Sort of. So there was this one big tent showcasing a lot of traditional spinning tools, etc. and there was a sign saying something like "public demonstration at 6 pm" So I came back around then and as per Spanish custom they were late, so about half an hour later I came back and there was actually someone there.

So I casually pulled out one of my drop spindles that I brought with me to Spain and started spinning some roving into a really fine single, and the lady demonstrating seemed to be impressed with the yarn, and the spindles I brought to show them. Alisa commented how she can't take me anywhere without something like this happening. Which is true haha. But here are some photos to commemorate the day:

"Black merino wool"

"Spinning wheel"

"Yarn spinning"



Demonstrator examining one of my Russian spindles


Showin' 'em how it's done. Dat focus though.


So for those of you who were wondering about spinning yarn in Spain, there is still a small community like there is back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment